Coconut oil is very popular among humans, but did you know that’s it’s actually really good for your dog too? Some holistic and naturopathic veterinarians believe that coconut oil has qualities that can aid in many types of canine conditions.
But what are actually the benefits of using Coconut oil for your dog?
Firstly, we need to state that coconut oil has beneficial topical uses, however, it’s not the cure-all some believe it is! Before you make the decision to use it for whatever ails your dog, talk to your vet.
That being said, these might be some of the benefits of using Coconut oil for your beloved furry friend:
- Lauric Acid – We’ve already mentioned the anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of coconut oil. The lauric acid is also supposed to fight off viruses.
- Medium Chain Triglycerides – Some vets believe that the MCTs in coconut oil aid in digestion and can help heal digestive disorders, as well as improve brain energy and mental function in older dogs.
- Reduces coughing and helps eliminate hairballs.
- Topical Benefits – It’s been known to help skin conditions like hot spots, bites, stings, or itchy, dry skin.
- Shampoos made with organic oils such as coconut oil can improve damaged skin and reduce allergens. Some pet owners have even made a DIY paw balm with coconut oil as one of the ingredients.
- Makes dogs’ coats glossy and sleek.
- Eliminates doggy odor.
- Benefits metabolic function, weight loss, arthritis and bone health.
Even though Coconut oil is amazing, however you should make a decision with your veterinarian whether coconut oil is a beneficial supplement to your dog’s life.