in

Are Poinsettias Poisonous To Dogs

A small dog sitting next to red flowers while his owner wonders Are Poinsettias Poisonous To Dogs

Love Reddit? Share this article now!

Last Updated on May 10, 2021 by Katy Baker


Holiday season is the time to be with our families, friends and pets. Spending time with our loved ones in a cozy and festive atmosphere can recharge us with positive energy and bliss. However, it’s also a quite busy time when we might overlook some possible dangers. One of them definitely is our pets eating the holiday decorations, but also our holiday plants. But how dangerous can that be? One of the most popular holiday plants definitely are poinsettias. But are poinsettias poisonous to dogs? Or are they safe?

Are poinsettias poisonous to dogs?

Poinsettias are indeed toxic for dogs if consumed. The toxicity comes from the white saps in the plant that are known as euphorbol esters. However, the levels of this toxic substance is very mild and usually not considered dangerous.

It’s also important to note that many poinsettias are sprayed with pesticides which are also often toxic.

What are the symptoms of poinsettia poisoning?

If your dog somehow ate a larger amount of poinsettias, be on the lookout for these symptoms:

  1. Excessive drooling
  2. Vomiting
  3. Diarrhea
  4. Nausea
  5. Skin irritations
  6. Eye irritation
  7. Itchiness

My dog ate poinsettias! What should I do?!

First of all, don’t panic! It’s very possible that your dog didn’t eat a large amount and that he will be completely fine. While there are side effects possible, they are very mild and only rarely dangerous for your dog. Poinsettias have an awful texture and taste, and most dogs won’t even take a second bite. However, even if they do — more likely than not, he will be fine.

If you do notice some severe symptoms in your dog, take him to the vet immediately.

Conclusion

Poinsettias are a fun and pretty holiday decoration for your home. However, it would be best to keep them away from any pets. While the danger of poinsettia poisoning is very low, it is still possible. Especially for dogs that are sensitive to it.

If you don’t want to drive your dog around to the emergency during the holidays, make sure he can’t get anywhere near this plant. Sometimes our dogs to the most unpredictable things. Therefore you shouldn’t exclude the possibility of them eating a whole pot of poinsettia just because they can.

As a responsible dog owner you need yo be aware of any possible dangers in your home. We are the only ones our dogs can rely on to be safe.

Aussiedoodle

Aussiedoodle: A Perfect Crossbreed

unique girl dog names

Unique Girl Dog Names You’ll Love