Love Reddit? Share this article now!
The covid-19 pandemic has swept through the world, causing many deaths and crippling economies. One could say that a single virus changed the world, and it will take many years for things to get back to normal. With so many deaths caused by a coronavirus, it is only natural that you are worried for the health of your family members, but also your pets. One of the most common questions you can get across in forums is can dogs get Covid-19?
In this article, we will answer this question and present you with guidelines from the highest authorities and professionals in this field.
So, Can Dogs Get Covid-19?
Yes, dogs can contract coronavirus. Most commonly they will contract respiratory coronavirus. However, Covid-19 is not as big a threat to dogs as it is to humans. Even tho the dogs can test positive for the coronavirus. There have been several coronavirus-positive cases among dogs, but they have shown no signs of illness.
Research and testing have shown that dogs and cats are not easily affected by Covid-19. Even if they get affected, there are no noticeable symptoms.
Can Dogs Spread Covid-19?
The World Health Organization (WHO) has clearly stated that there is no evidence that cats dogs or any other pet can transmit Covid-19. The virus has emerged from an animal source. However, it is now spreading from one person to another via sneezing, coughing, etc.
Can I Walk My Dog?
- Walk the dog on a leash and maintain a social distance of at least six feet from other people and animals
- Avoid crowded public places
- Don’t let your dog come in contact with other dogs and people
- Wash your hand thoroughly before and after each walk
How To Protect Your Dog From Covid-19?
The best way to protect your dog from infection is to keep your hygiene. Wash your hand before and after any contact with the dog or any other animal.
If you suspect you came in contact with an infected person or you are positive, the CDC guidelines state that you should:
- Avoid any contact with your pet.
- If possible, call a family member or a friend to care for your dog while you are sick
- In case you have to care for your dog while you are sick, wear a mask and wash your hands before and after the interaction.