fbpx Skip to Content

Chocolate, pies, nuts: Christmas foods that you shouldn’t let your Golden retriever eat

Chocolate, pies, nuts: Christmas foods that you shouldn’t let your Golden retriever eat

Christmas is a magical time. The family gets together or we have friends over, the decorations, the lights, and the food. Isn’t the food kind of the best part? However, no matter how magical the Christmas is or delicious the food is, there are certain human foods that are highly dangerous for your four-legged friend.

According to The Kennel Club number of popular foods commonly eaten at Christmas can be harmful to your dog. These include

Chocolate
Christmas cake, mince pies
Christmas pudding
Sage and onion stuffing
Other foods, such as certain nuts like macadamia nuts, blue cheese, fatty and salty foods, etc.

Chocolate

The number of chocolate poisoning cases in dogs is highest in December.

But why is it so poisonous for dogs? Because chocolate contains chemical called theobromine which dogs are particularly sensitive to. Theobromine is similar to caffeine and so has a stimulant effect on dogs.

Christmas cake, mince pies and Christmas pudding

All of these festive treats contain dried grapes in the form of raisins, currants or sultanas. Grapes, and all the dried versions of them, are known to be toxic to dogs. In fact, it’s believed that these dried fruits are more toxic than fresh grapes themselves.

Other Christmassy dried fruit dangers:

  • Stollen
  • Chocolate covered raisins
  • Fruit cake

Sage and onion stuffing

Onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, and chives all belong to the allium family and can be found in most types of Christmas stuffing. These plants all contain a substance that can damage a dog’s red blood cells and can cause life-threatening anemia.

Macadamia nuts

Why macadamia nuts are poisonous to dogs is not known, but macadamia nuts can cause your dog to appear weak (particularly in their back limbs), dull and sleepy.

Blue cheese

Roquefort and other blue cheeses contain a substance called roquefortine C, which is produced by the fungus that’s used to produce these cheeses. Dogs appear sensitive to this substance and more extreme cases can cause dogs to quickly develop muscle tremors and seizures, which may last for up to two days.

Remember to keep an extra close eye on your dog this Christmas, watch them carefully so that they can’t sneak any of the foods they shouldn’t be eating and keep all dangerous food out of your dog’s reach.

If you would like to know more about the foods that are dangerous for your dog or how to spot food poisoning please visit The Kennel Club.