“How to get dog pee smell out of carpet?” – is probably one of those questions dog owners ask the most. And, it’s understandable, dog pee smell really is unbearable, no matter how much we love our four-legged friends. Dog pee smell is also very difficult to remove out of your carpet.
However, we have a few tips and tricks that you can use in order to easily and successfully remove that pesky smell out of your beautiful carpet!
Also read: How to get dog pee out of carpet?
How to get dog pee smell out of carpet?
When potty training your dog “accidents” are inevitable. At some point or another, it will happen that your dog pees on your carpet. Now, sometimes even after cleaning the stain, it can happen that the smell of dog pee still lingers on your carpet and in your home. But don’t worry, we have good news! You don’t have to throw out your whole carpet, you just need to know a few cleaning hacks!
Removing the smell out of a fresh pee stain is the easiest! If you find the spot where your dog did its business on time, you’ll be able to fully remove the smell too! The longer the pee sits on your carpet, the worse it’s going to smell.
Also read: How to house train a dog? NOAH strategy
- Soak it up – use paper towels or wet rags to soak up the urine, absorbing as much as possible.
- Mix your solution – Combine white or apple cider vinegar and water in a 1:1 ratio. Let the solution sit for 3-5 minutes. This mixture works because the vinegar is acidic and it will neutralize the bacteria in the dog pee, therefore remove the smell.
- Baking soda – After 3-5 minutes sprinkle some baking soda over the vinegar mixture and rub it in. Let this sit for a few hours then rinse with clean water and vacuum if necessary.
Also read: Why Is My Golden Retriever Peeing So Much & Should I Worry?
Removing the smell out of an old dog pee stain is a little more difficult, but not impossible! First you will have to locate the smell. You need to know the exact spot where the smell is coming from. Then you have two options.
- Mild stain – Combine some mild dish soap with warm water and pour onto the urine stain, Let this sit for a few moments and blot the carpet with a rag or paper towel until the stain is gone.
- Hardcore stains – First you will have to soak a rag in a mixture of vinegar and water (1:1 ratio) and blot the stain on your carpet. If this doesn’t solve the problem, pour a bit of the vinegar and water solution directly on the stain, scrub with a scrub brush and blot dry. In both cases sprinkle some baking soda onto the pee stain to neutralize both the pee smell and the vinegar smell. Then, mix a pinch of dish soap with ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide, pour onto the carpet stain, and continue to scrub with a scrub brush. Then pat the stained area dry.
In conclusion, getting dog pee smell out of your carpet doesn’t have to be that difficult. It just takes a little bit of knowledge and these tricks we shared with you! So next time your dog has a little accident on your beautiful carpet, don’t despair! Rest assured, you will be able to get the stain and smell out! Of course, if you do as written in this article!