fbpx Skip to Content

The Most Common Ways In Which Dogs Get Accidentally Poisoned

The Most Common Ways In Which Dogs Get Accidentally Poisoned

Even though all of us want to keep our pets safe, there are still thousands of accidental pet poisonings recorded each year, and that’s just in the United States.

These are the most common causes of dog poisoning, so be extra careful when it comes to them.

Medications

Any type of medication can be poisonous to dogs. Sometimes the meds taste sweet to them and dogs accidentally eat a whole bottle of it, which can cause kidney failure. So make sure to storage them out of your dog’s reach.

Chocolate

If your dog eats chocolate, especially the darker kinds, call your vet right away.

Warning signs may take up to twelve hours to appear and include extreme thirst, diarrhea, pacing, panting, shaking, and seizures.

Poisonous Plants

Make sure you’re informed and know if the plants in your garden are in any way poisonous to your dog.

The ASPCA provides a complete list of plants to watch out for that includes lilies, oleander, autumn crocus, chrysanthemum, and English ivy.

Household Chemicals

Detergents and fabric softener sheets can cause ulcers in the mouth and stomach.

Mothballs, especially those with naphthalene, have toxins that can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures.

Window cleaners contain methanol or ethylene glycol, resulting in low blood sugar.

Toxic Toads

There are several species of toads out there that can cause poisoning.

Toad poison is located on their skin and it’s highly toxic to dogs and frequently fatal if not treated.

Insecticides

Use and store these products carefully. Talk to your vet before using flea and tick treatments on a sick animal. Some can lower the immune system of your dog so much that they’ll just become sick.

Heavy Metals

Metal poisoning can occur in several ways: breathing polluted air, lapping up contaminated water, licking a paint can, or even consuming large amounts of food and water that are treated with certain chemicals.

Antifreeze

The ingredient ethylene glycol makes this product and others, like hydraulic brake fluids, lethal for pets. They can cause hypoglycemia and even coma.

Tags
The Goldens Club

FREE
VIEW