Skip to Content

What To Do If Your Dog Was Stung By A Bee?

What To Do If Your Dog Was Stung By A Bee?
Dog Stung By A Bee

Bees are nature’s most wonderful creatures. Their impact on the environment is immeasurable. Their work ethic second to none, and the product of their hard work, the honey, one of the healthiest food on the planet. Bees don’t need anything from anyone, but they will also protect the product of their hard work with their lives. Therefore, if you come close to the beehive, they will attack you and sting you in an attempt to protect their honey reserves. Stinging someone is the last option for any bee since bees die after using their sting. However, sometimes bees have no option and they have to sting the intruders be it human, dog, or some other animal. But, what to do if your dog was stung by a bee?

How To Tell If Your Dog Was Stung By A Bee?

There are several tell-tale signs you can recognize when your dog was stung by a bee. These are:

  • Whining
  • Pawing at the sting area
  • Swelling at the affected area
  • Bitting affected area
  • Holding up the affected area (for example his paw)

What To Do If Your Furry Friend Was Stung By A Bee?

The first thing you need to do if your dog was stung by a bee is to remove the sting. The longer the bee sting stays embedded in your dog’s skin, the worse the irritation, pain, and swelling will be. 

You need to remove the sting. However, don’t squeeze or pull it as it will only release more venom into the dog’s skin. Instead, scrap it out. You can use anything you have close to you for this action.

Once you remove the sting, bring a wet cloth, a towel, or a bit of ice and hold it against the affected area to reduce the swelling.

Another important thing you need to do is to stay calm and don’t panic and try to calm your dog as much as possible. Also, keep an eye out for any possible signs of an allergic reaction to bee venom. An allergic reaction can develop in the first few hours after your dog was stung by a bee.

Symptoms Of An Allergic Reaction To A Bee Venom In Dogs

Your dog may be allergic to bee venom. Therefore, his body and immune system will react violently when a bee stung him, which can cause a severe allergic reaction and in some cases even death.

These are the most common symptoms of a bee-venom related allergic reaction in dogs:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Difficulty breathing or rapid breathing
  • Excessive swelling around the sting
  • Weakness
  • Collapsing
  • Pale gums

If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog was stung by a bee, contact your vet immediately.