There’s barely any human put there that doesn’t like bananas. You could say they are the most popular fruit there is! I mean, just take a look at your counter, you probably have some bananas lying around! Now, we know that they are generally healthy and nutritious fruits, but can dogs eat bananas? Are bananas safe for your pooch?
Can dogs eat bananas?
Yes, bananas are safe for your dog! However, there are a few things you should know before giving your dog bananas!
Health benefits of bananas
Besides being very delicious, bananas are also very healthy! This fruit is a great source of essential vitamins and nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, and Biotin and they’re high in fiber! Which are all very important for your dog’s overall health. But let’s take a closer look at why each of these vitamins and nutrients is important:
- Fiber: Bananas are high in fiber which is important for yout dog’s digestive system. It moves food along the intestinal tract, helping to resolve constipation, diarrhea, and even some blockages that can occur.
- Vitamin C: It boosts your dog’s immune system.
- Potassium: Supports healthy kidney and heart function, promotes healthy bone density, regulates fluid levels, and helps muscle development.
- Magnesium: Promotes healthy bone growth while helping the body use vitamins and minerals more effectively.
- Biotin: Promotes healthy skin, coat quality, and supports muscle development.
- Vitamin B6: A critical coenzyme for brain and body functions. It regulates fluid balance, builds proteins, regulates hormones, and supports neurotransmitters in your dog’s body.
However, even though they are very healthy for your dog, and are low in fat and cholesterol, bananas do contain a lot of sugar. This means you should never go overboard with giving this fruit to your dog. Keep the portions moderate.
Do all dogs like bananas?
Just like humans, dogs too have food preferences. So, no, not every dog will like the taste of bananas. If you’re not sure whether your dog likes bananas, try giving him or her small pieces to see if they’ll eat it or spit it out.
Dogs can also have food allergies. It can happen that your dog is allergic to bananas, so look out for any signs of allergies like coughing, sneezing, difficulty breathing, itching, or hives.
How much banana can you give your dog
Like mentioned, bananas do have a lot of sugar in them, so it’s best you keep them as a occasional treat.
Experts advise dog owners that large dogs can eat half of a banana a day, and small dogs should only have two-three small pieces per day.
How to feed bananas to your dog
The best way to give your dog bananas is to give them fresh (and peeled!). Chop the banana into small pieces and give them out as treats.
Of course, if your dog likes frozen treats you can chop the banana up and freeze it, then give it to your dog.
Both of these suggestions are pretty basic, but you can get a little more creative in creating delicious banana treats for your dog, for example you could make your dog happy with this three-ingredient peanut butter banana treat.
As it is with oranges, apples, and watermelon, bananas are too safe for dogs to eat! Bananas are a great source of vitamins and nutrients that your dog needs to be healthy. Dog owners are actually encouraged to incorporate this fruit into their dog’s diets. Of course, always make sure your dog likes certain foods and isn’t allergic to certain foods before giving them to your pooch.