Painting your dog’s nails is very frowned upon in the dog lovers community. But, some people really enjoy giving their dogs some extra TLC and including them in their weekly manicures. But is that even safe for dogs? And does dog nail polish exist?
It’s no secret that regular nail polish can be very toxic, not only to dogs but to humans as well, but are there any ways to make it a bit safer? There must be certain nail polishes that are safe for dogs, right?
Yes, there is. Dog nail polish really does exist, but there are still certain things you need to consider before you paint your dog’s nails.
While you’re here, you can read our other health-related articles:
- Pneumonia In Dogs: What To Know
- Puppy strangles: What it is and why it occurs
- Underbite Dog Breeds And Other Teeth Problems
- DHPP Vaccine For Dogs: What Is It?
- How Long Will My Puppy Poop Worms After Deworming?
- How To Strengthen Old Dog’s Hind Legs
Dog nail polish – What you need to know
We wouldn’t suggest painting your dog’s nails at all, not even with dog nail polish. But if you really insist in painting your dogs nails, avoid doing it yourself for the first time. Ask your groomer if they provide that service, and once your dog gets used to it, you can try it yourself.
Obviously, the one rule you should always remember is to never paint your dogs nails with human nail polish! It contains toxic chemicals that can harm their health.
To paint your dog’s nails buy dog nail polish on Amazon or at your local pet shop. Now, it might cost more money, but it won’t put your dog or its health at risk. Nail polish that is made for dogs is odorless, so neither you nor your dog will have to endure strong scents while painting its nails.
Also, remember that you should only apply paint on your dog’s nails when they let you. Please never force them to sit through the process if they don’t want to. Also, never use acetone for removing the nail paint, because you might harm your dog with that too.
But, make sure to take a good look at your dog’s nails before you paint them. There shouldn’t be any cracks on your dog’s nails, otherwise, you might cause them pain.
Which polish is safe?
Dog nail polish is made with non-toxic ingredients that are harmless if your pup happens to ingest some while chewing or licking at her feet. Dog and human nail polishes are completely different. Besides that dog nail polishes dry much quicker, which is a major perk compared to human formulas.
Now, let’s take a look at the best dog nail polishes.
1. Warren London Pawdicure Polish Pen
The Warren London Pawdicure Polish Pen is a best seller on Amazon. It’s a fast-drying polish pen that is perfect for novice nail artists and wiggly puppies. Just apply like you’re using a marker!
This is what the seller has to say about it:
- non toxic, water based, and odorless pet nail polish
- dispenses from a pen tip for quick and neat application
- dries on your pup’s nails in under 40 seconds for easy smudge-free application
- easy to use, just push in the nib, shake, and after about 30 seconds apply the polish
- high quality, you can compare it to the polishes you can find at the groomer’s
- you can get it in 13 fun colors
Some people have left a negative review saying that one pen wasn’t enough to cover all four paws. Obviously, this is a big concern if you have a large dog. Other people stated that multiple coats were needed for adequate coverage.
2. Color Paw Fast-Drying Premium Polish
The Color Paw Fast-Drying Premium Polish looks just like a regular nail polish which makes it ideal for those who already have plenty of nail-polishing experience. Just simply coat the brush with adequate polish and paint!
This nail polish is available in nine vibrant and fun shades, as well as matte and metallic finishes.
Here’s what the manufacturer has to say about it:
- long-lastin formulation that is water and chip resistant
- one coat is enough for full coverage
- long lasting and durable, won’t chip off immediately
- you can get it in many colors
According to the reviews, some owners found this polish’s scent too strong. Besides that, this product might be difficult for dogs that have a hard time holding still. It can be messier than polish pens too.
3. Lesotc Pet Nail Polish
The Lesotc Pet Nail Polish is FDA-approved and non-toxic! It’s also water-based and it looks like traditional nail polish.
It’s super easy to use and doesn’t smell bad. This polish is sold in a set of six colors which include shimmer and matte colors! The best part is that they are easy to remove, just use warm water and wipe it off.
Here’s what the seller has to say about it:
- non-toxic water-based natural safe dog nail polish
- comes in a pack of six with the following colors: pink, purple, red, gold, blue, and silver
- easy to apply and remove
- can last up to 30 days
According to the reviews, it’s not as opaque. Some people said that multiple coats were needed for proper coverage. Besides that, they are saying the application brush is too short. Lastly, according to the reviews, this formula takes much longer to dry than others.