There are many Pitbull mixes, after all, designer dogs are not unusual nowadays. However, the Beagle bull is rare to come across. Have you ever seen one?
Well, in the last couple of years the Pitbull Beagle Mix is becoming more and more popular. And despite being an unusual hybrid, they are proving to be quite a dog!
In this article, we’re going to take a look at known facts and talk a bit more about the Beagle pit. About its personality, characteristics, care and if they would be a good choice for you.
Read some of our other articles:
- Brindle Pitbull Dog: Everything That You Should Know
- Cane Corso Blue: The Rare And Mystery Cane Corso
- Onofrio Dog Shows: Everything That You Should Know
- Cane Corso Dogo Argentino Mix
- Doberman Pitbull Mix: Best Of Both Worlds?
- Bordoodle: The Intelligent And Energetic Doodle
- Should I Wake Up My Puppy To Pee At Night?
- Lycan Shepherd: A mix of three breeds
- Tibetan Mastiff: A Protective & Fearless Giant
Pitbull Beagle Mix – Everything to know
The Beaglebull is a medium-sized dog, but with energy levels that are out of this world! However, don’t worry. This special designer dog can also enjoy a lazy day here and there. Also, because of their amazing characteristics, they make great family dogs too! But more on that later!
Before we tell you more about the temperament of Beaglebulls, know that these are the typical traits. Just like it is with any other hybrid no one can really predict their nature. How they will actually be. Every puppy in a litter can be different.
Generally speaking, the Beaglebull is a very sociable and friendly dog and makes a great companion for humans. As mentioned above, they have very high energy levels and love to have fun and play around. But if you thought that they don’t enjoy cuddles, you’re wrong! They are very affectionate and enjoy snuggle time with their family.
Many people believe that because the Beaglebull is part Pitbull that he is a good guard dog. However, that is not the case.
Just like they are friendly and kind to their family, they are to strangers too! They would be more likely to greet an intruder and would want to play with them than attack them. Now, they don’t make good guard dogs in terms that they will protect you. However, they do bark, a lot!
The Beaglebull will definitely let you know someone is entering your property. But even this barking will be friendly. They will go on to play with whoever entered your home.
But let’s look at each parent breed individually, that might give you a better idea of what this mix will be like.
American Pitbull Terrier – Temperament and Personality
First, we’ll lose look at the traits of Pitbull dogs. The American Pitbull Terrier, if properly bred and socialized, is a self-contained dog. He is very observant and intelligent. These dogs are enormously strong, brave, and have a high potential combat strength.
But, at the same time, they are extremely lovable, loyal, and devoted to their family, they would do anything for their family. When it comes to strangers they are quite neutral towards them. Basically, these dogs are good-natured and have an extraordinarily high stimulus threshold.
Sadly, because of their history, many people have a prejudice against this dog breed. They believe that the American Pitbull Terrier is an aggressive dog, because in the 1990s in particular, dogs like Pit Bulls were indeed made aggressive by dubious breeders and abused as living weapons.
But, the truth is, if a dog only gets mistreated and is used for dog fights, like was the case with this dog breed, it’s natural that they will become aggressive. If you did the same to a Chihuahua or a Miniature Poodle, you would get the same end result – an aggressive dog, and a dangerous dog.
But, a dog of any breed, in this case, an American Pit Bull Terrier, if appropriately socialized and in the hands of a good owner – will be a good, calm and loving dog.
Finally, if you look at the situation like above explained, you’d come to the conclusion that the poor Pitbulls are actually victims, not perpetrators. If raised, socialized, and trained right, they can be excellent family dogs and great companions.
We also want to add that the American Pit Bull Terrier is undemanding in terms of grooming needs. But, he is not a dog for couch potatoes. This breed wants to be mentally and physically busy. A Pitbull is a lively, occasionally playful four-legged friend who likes to roam around in nature. He is suitable for all kinds of dog sports and makes a great watchdog.
Consistency is key with this dog breed because they are physically very strong but at the same time sensitive and intelligent. This dog wants his owner to guide him and is looking for a close connection. Coercive measures are counterproductive. Sadly, due to this dog’s strength and enthusiasm for work, he is not a dog for beginners. Even dog-experienced owners should work with this breed consciously and ideally have them attend a suitable dog school.
You have to start proper training while they are still young, while they are puppies. And keep in mind that it must be clear to your Pitbull who is in control, who is in charge. There can never be a doubt about that. It’s your responsibility to train a dog of this type extremely well so that they don’t even seem threatening to strangers, let alone be threatening.
Beagle – Temperament and Personality
What’s the first thought that comes to your mind when someone says Beagles? We associate Beagles with happiness and a good mood. Judging by people online and Beagle owners, we’re not alone in this, Beagles have a good reputation! Many people claim that Beagles are happy, gentle, and extremely adaptable dogs. And that’s really true. This breed is all of that and more! They have the right personality for perfect family dogs.
Because Beagles are purebred dogs, which means they are accepted by the American Kennel Club. Because they are recognized, there is also a standard as to what they should look and act like. The standard for Beagles describes them like follows:
“Beagles are happy and fearless dogs whose main purpose is to hunt, especially rabbits. They are great at following the tracks of small animals. Besides being happy and fearless, they are also extremely lively, with a lot of tenacity and determination. Of course, we can’t forget that Beagles are generally intelligent, well-balanced, and alert dogs, with no signs of aggressiveness or fearfulness.”
But, they also have some negative traits, for example, they can be very stubborn. That is hardly surprising. For centuries this property was one of its trump cards for survival. Only with a good dose of stubbornness and perseverance could this breed follow the trail of the small animals even through dense undergrowth.
We shouldn’t confuse their stubbornness with a lack of learning ability. The Beagle is very smart, but he also needs a clear message and a sensitive but consistent hand from you. Then upbringing, training, and socialization won’t be a problem.
You should know that a frustrated, lonely, and bored Beagle can become a problem. In extreme cases, he can take apart an apartment out of boredom. They love being outdoors and roaming the forests with their dog owners. That’s the best way they won’t be bored. Combined with his cheerful nature, his high-stress tolerance, and lack of aggressiveness, the Beagle is perfect for families.
Lastly, Beagles are also considered to be particularly child-friendly. This shows once again his high level of social competence. In addition to that, unlike the Pit Bull Terrier, they are easily manageable even by a beginner. But, they do need a lot of playtime.
But, keep in mind that the Beagle is a hunting breed, so make sure to keep them on a leash. If his fine nose picks up the trail of a hare or rabbit, he suddenly becomes restless and will run away if not on a leash. Of course, today they are rarely used as hunting dogs, but their nature remains.
Size and physical characteristics of the Pitbull Beagle Mix
Let’s take a closer look at the size and general physical traits of Beaglebulls.
There isn’t much difference in size when it comes to male vs female Beaglebulls. Both have a rather friendlier appearance and will grow around 18 to 20 inches. When it comes to their weight, your Beaglebull will be between 30 and 40 pounds heavy.
Because this is a mixed breed every dog will look very different. But generally speaking, the Pitbull Beagle Mix is quite thick and muscular looking. But they don’t look as intimidating as the American Pitbull Terrier (Bull Terriers). They look much friendlier.
Beaglebulls have floppy ears and big eyes. Their eyes are dark but can sometimes be blue as well.
The coat of the Beaglebull is short and very smooth to the touch. But don’t get fooled. They might have short hair or a short coat, but they still shed quite a bit.
Beaglebulls have a double-layered coat or double coat and they shed a lot when it gets warm outside. The color of the Beaglebulls coat is usually brown with white areas.
But, obviously, to get a better picture, we have to take a look at the parent breeds separately.
The appearance of Pit Bulls
The body of a Pit Bull Terrier is strong and athletic. The legs and back are very muscular, so his movements look powerful and elegant. The physical appearance of Pitbulls is very fierce. They are muscular and robust, have a wide face and a short muzzle. They have round small eyes, and a triangle-shaped nose, and floppy ears that fall down.
American Pit Bull Terriers are a large breed. The average height of an American Pitbull Terrier is between 17 and 21 inches. Their ideal weight is between 30 and 65 pounds. Dogs of this size have an average life expectancy of around twelve years.
Their animal’s fur is smooth, dense, and short. It is usually characterized by a slightly shiny sheen. This breed of dog has all coat colors and markings, with the exception of Merle. There are Pit Bulls from white to reddish to brown and black. The possible Pit Bull colors are:
Brushing once or twice a week is perfectly adequate, only when the coat is changing should you brush it more regularly. As you can see, you won’t really have to visit the dog groomer with your Pit Bull! You shouldn’t bathe your pit bull too often either. A bath or two a year is more than enough unless your four-legged friend is very dirty or smelly. But, if the smell persists after the bath, your dog could be suffering from skin diseases and it is advisable to consult a veterinarian.
Appearance of Beagles
The beagle is a medium-sized, compact dog. Beagles are available in two sizes: 13-inch and 15-inch. Beagles in the smaller kind are no taller than 13 inches at the shoulder and weigh 22 to 30 pounds, while Beagles in the bigger variety are no taller than 15 inches and weigh up to 35 pounds.
The beagle’s head is long, and its low-set, rounded floppy ears make it particularly famous. The dog’s loyal gaze from its soft brown eyes is also typical of the Beagle.
All Beagles have a short, clean coat that is generally a mix of black, white, and brown. But, generally, any color apart from liver brown is recognized. The Beagle is available either in three colors (black/brown/white) or in two colors (brown/white, red/white or yellow/white).
According to the breed standard, the tip of the tail must always be white. Their tiny to medium size is beneficial to families since they are the right form for a youngster to embrace – but the Beagle has no idea he is anything less than a full-sized hound, and he has the loud bay to prove it!
Exercise and care
We’ve already mentioned that the Beaglebull has a lot of energy. This means that they need around an hour of exercise every day. But, they don’t only need physical activity. They need mental stimulation too.
So, always plan play time and exercise sessions. For example, a hike and a long walk in the forest, or a nice run. But, also throw in an interesting interactive game into your dog’s daily routine.
It would be great if this mixed breed could live in a house with a garden. However, if you live in an apartment you’ll just need to incorporate more outside activities for your dog.
The Pitbull Beagle Mix is great with children, which makes them perfect family dogs.
Socialization at a young age is a must. Let them meet a lot of people and animals. They should also see a lot of places. Be in different situations. It will be easier for you when they grow up. They won’t be aggressive or act out.
Lastly, food is the biggest motivation of the Beaglebull. To be honest, we understand. So, if you want to teach them commands and tricks, you know what to do, have enough food on hand. You will have to have treats. Otherwise, they won’t be willing to learn. Or even to listen to you.
Praise is important too. Their Pitbull parent is eager to please. So if you praise this mix, the Pitbull in them will work even harder.
The Pitbull Beagle Mix is very easy to take care of. We’ve already mentioned that both parent breeds are easy to take care of anyways. Because both parent breeds have a short coat, their offspring has a short coat as well. So, this mix has a lovely short coat that just needs regular brushing to maintain and remove any loose hairs. It’s also important to keep your dog’s skin healthy and issue-free.
How to properly take care of your Beagle Pitbull Mix
Don’t be fooled, just because they are easy to take care of, doesn’t mean they don’t shed at all. Even short-haired dogs shed too, although they don’t shed all year round.
We prepared some tips to help you groom your Beagle Pitbull mix:
- Invest in a good dog brush. Not all dog brushes are created equal and will vary depending on your dog’s coat. Get the right brush for your Pitbull Beagle Mix and brush it regularly. You want to make sure you have a tight-bristled brush to effectively remove loose fur or dead hair.
- Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Short-haired dogs need a bath from time to time too. Generally speaking they should be washed every three months or so. But also keep in mind that a dog as active as this mixed breed breed will be exposed to a variety of environmental factors and dirt, and you will want to wash that out of its body. Bathing them regularly will remove dead hair and promote your dog’s skin and coat health. Before bathing, make sure you use a brush to remove or loosen any dead hair.
- Cut their nails. You shouldn’t be able to hear tick-tick noises while your dog is walking, and if you do, it means their nails are already way too long. Long nails are painful for your dog, which is why you need to take care of them. In addition, you want to prevent your dog from accidentally scratching you or your children.
- Brush their teeth. Dental hygiene is just as important as your dog’s internal health. Regular brushing can reduce your dog’s chances of developing teeth and gum disease, which are common causes of heart and kidney problems.
Designer dogs tend to get more sick. At least, compared to purebred dogs. But, despite that, the Beaglebull is a healthy dog. They even have a lifespan of 11 to 15 years. Just like its parents.
Now, this is a young breed. So we don’t have that much information on their health. But we can look at the parent breeds and draw a conclusion.
The biggest health issues they could face are elbow dysplasia and hip dysplasia.
Hip dysplasia is when joints aren’t formed the right way. This can lead to pain and arthritis. It’s a common condition among dogs. And sadly you can’t do anything about it because it’s inherited.
Ear infections can happen too because their Beagle parent is prone to them. Lastly, we have skin allergies. A lot of Pit Bulls suffer from them. Your dog will feel discomfort, their skin might peel or flake. But it’s not a serious condition.
Every dog can have health problems. You can’t avoid that. But, you can feed your dog high-quality food. Which will keep them healthy. Being active is important. And regular vet visits as well.
All of these factors will keep your dog healthy and help them live a long life.
So, don’t get scared by these health problems. It doesn’t mean your dog will have any of them. It’s just important that you are aware of them. This way you can spot them on time.
Because of their gene pool, they can suffer from other health problems like:
- cardiac disease
- cerebellar ataxia
- atopic dermatitis
- gum diseases
Conclusion – Pitbull Beagle Mix
In conclusion, the Pitbull Beagle Mix is a great dog for everyone! This is because they are highly adaptable and get along great with humans and other pets! They have the best traits from both parent breeds.
It doesn’t matter if you live in a small apartment. Or have kids. Beagle cross puppies will adapt. If you’re thinking about getting this hybrid breed we can only highly encourage you to do so!
If you have an issue with designer dogs. Then maybe check out your local shelter. It’s possible that there is a Pitbull Beagle mix waiting for you there.
But, let’s take a look the three reasons in favor and three reasons against getting a Pitbull Beagle Mix.
Three reasons why not to get a Pitbull Beagle Mix
- The Pitbull Beagle Mix is not an ideal pet for someone who is a couch potatoe and does not have an active lifestyle. The mix is high in energy and they will need regular activity to release their energy. If they cannot unleash their energy, the breed can become disruptive and destroy your furniture.
- If you don’t have enough time to train this mix, then they are definitely not for you. The Pitbull Beagle mix is very smart, but good behavior and obedience only comes with proper Pitbull Beagle Mix training. The breed shows signs of stubbornness, especially at a young age. To correct this behavior, dog owners should train their pups at a young age. Pitbull Beagle Mix training takes some time and dedication, and if you can’t afford it, you might end up with a stubborn dog.
- Because the breed is quite unusual, seeing their pup become aggressive is always a shock for many dog owners. The Pitbull Beagle Mix can show signs of aggression towards their owners and even towards other dogs and strangers. That is why you need to pay attention to them and correct early signs of aggression. This behavior can be overcome with time, especially with proper training and attention.
Three reasons why get a Pitbull Beagle Mix
- The Pitbull Beagle Mix is very friendly towards other people and animals, if trained and raised right. This is perfect for families who already have kids and even pets. The breed shows the potential to protect the family and, because of its energy, makes a good companion for children. They’re also perfect for families with active lifestyles as this mixed breed requires regular activity. The breed is perfect for people who are active and want a companion to run, hike, or engage in any activity with them.
- They are intelligent and loving breeds that are stable and spacial at the same time. The breed shows excellent signs of reliability, especially when properly trained. The Pitbull Beagle Mix is very smart and you can train them to do what you want. As long as you can show them real leadership and a strong hand, you should be able to see their full potential.
- They enjoy exercises, whether mentally or physically. If you enjoy training a dog then this breed is for you. The Pitbull Beagle mix requires not only physical activity but also mental stimulation. The breed loves mentally stimulating activities like frisbee, puzzles, and fetch, and it helps them with developing their personality too. So, remember, besides physicaly training them, also put a focus on mental training and stimulation too.